1821: San Gabriel Mission has cattle grazing in the east valley.
1827: Jedediah Strong Smith camps west of Redlands site after his overland journey.
n 1830: San Bernardino de Sena Estancia was built as a cattle headquarters for Mission San Gabriel.
1834: Mission San Gabriel lands are secularized by the Mexican government and available for land grants.
1842: Antonio Maria Lugo acquired the San Bernardino Land Grant for three sons and his nephew. Jose del Carmen Lugo moves into the Estancia buildings.
Jose and Marie Armenta Bermudez build an irrigation ditch from the Zanja near present day Crafton School south to land west of Ford Park. The ditch later becomes part of the Judson and Brown 1881 ditch to their reservoir. Their adobe home is the first for Redlands.
Daniel Sexton cutting wood in Mill Creek Canyon and along Zanja.
1850: Census taken lists 50 people living in San Bernardino Valley. Census did not count Native Americans. Census notes Alexander Martino, from Illinois, living at the Estancia.
1851: San Bernardino Land Grant is sold to Mormons with Bishop Nathan C. Tenney and his wife.
1852: Bishop Nathan Cram Tenney plants the “Barton” vineyard and told to experiment with cotton, apple, walnut, wheat, barley, strawberry, corn, melons, squash, and other crops by Mormon leader Brigham Young.
Col. Henry Washington, United States Deputy Surveyor, established the Baseline Monument on Mt. San Bernardino in November. His fires on the mountain were reported in local papers Nov. 7.
1853: Mrs. Olive Tenney organizes the Mission School District within Los Angeles County.
San Bernardino County is created from eastern Los Angeles County April 26.
1854: Tenney has Native Americans build a ditch for additional water from the Santa Ana River. The ditch is not approved by the Water Commission of San Bernardino County.
1854: Lewis F. Cram and Henry Cram have a furniture factory utilizing the Mill Creek Zanja for water power near the Estancia using a lathe brought from Illinois.
Ben and Eliza Barton arrive in El Monte and live there for three years.
1856: San Bernardino Land Grant approved by the government with an extension through the future Redlands a mile wide with Citrus Avenue in the center.
Crams move their furniture factory to Crafton on the south west corner of the Zanja and Opal Avenue. Crams build an adobe on the land and mill race to power their lathe.
369 acres irrigated by the Timber Ditch --- forerunner of Bearry Roberts and Sunnyside Ditch.
1857: Mormons are recalled to Utah and sell San Bernardino Land Grant property. Government survey of Rancho land awards 35,599.4 acres to the Mormons.