Col. William C. Greene, like many other millionaires, had plunged heavily into the New York stock market in the early part of the 18th century. It was there he had adopted the title “colonel” to help sell stock. When the 1907 panic hit, Greene used his Cananea copper mines as collateral at t…
After unknown tricksters first decorated the statue of the Smiley Brothers in front of the A.K. Smiley Public Library several years ago, it has become an annual tradition on the brothers’ St. Patrick’s Day birthdays, and this year was no exception. Green hats and green banners on Tuesday onc…
Milk bottles from Brookside Dairy are a recent donation to the Museum of Redlands. There were once two dairy operations in Redlands, Brookside Dairy and Quality Dairy.
A recent donation to the Museum of Redlands is this medical bag used by Dr. Allan L. McCall. Dr. McCall began his practice of medicine in Redlands in 1952 when he joined his University of Utah classmate, Dr. Alan Porter. Their practice was near the corner of Orange Street and Colton Avenue n…
The 88th annual Watchorn Dinner, always held on Abraham Lincoln’s birthday no matter what day it falls on, featured Douglas R. Egerton, author of “Thunder at the Gates: The Black Civil War Regiments That Redeemed America.”
- Inland Empire COVID-19 cases climb to 62; six deaths
- Redlands woman wins on ‘Wheel of Fortune’
- Woman, 89, is the county's third death caused by COVID-19
- First confirmed COVID-19 case in San Bernardino County reported in Fontana
- 2 Redlands emergency responders potentially exposed to COVID-19, self-quarantined
- City of Redlands takes new steps in response to coronavirus
- DMV closes field offices but will process vehicle registration renewal and title transfers online
- COVID-19 cases reach 9 in San Bernardino County
- Lorrie Poyzer, city clerk of Redlands for 16 years, dies at 73
- Redlands singer becomes one of 113 semifinalists in The Music Center’s Spotlight
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.
The 1979 oil on canvas painting “Slover Mountain,” by Marshall Davis Taylor is one of the largest in the Museum of Redlands collection.
Steve Spiller, retired executive director of the Mission Inn Foundation in Riverside, will reveal to the Redlands Area Historical Society the history of Kimberly Crest at its February 24 meeting at 7 p.m. in the A.K. Smiley Library Contemporary Club 173 S. Eureka Street.
The Museum of Redlands recently received from Diana Holmes another Gair’s men’s clothing store historical item. How many people saved plastic clothing bags from former Redlands stores? Be sure to ask the museum before throwing such items away.
Editor's note: An earlier version of this package reported that "Reflections on the Face of Lincoln" was returning to the Lincoln Memorial Shrine this year. That was incorrect, picked up from an email that was a year old.
The magnesium plate letterpress die, circa 1911-1915, belonged to the Redlands Chamber of Commerce, which used the surface design to print and distribute city maps to resident business owners and tourists. The metal plaque is fastened to a one-inch-thick block of wood. Magnesium is etched us…
Though its exact date of arrival at the Redlands Community Hospital is unknown, this typewriter was already present when pharmacist Tom McKenzie arrived in 1969. It resembles similar Remington typewriter models from the 1950s and 1960s.
Marie Reynolds, a devoted Redlands area historian, will present “Mentone-Crafton History New Discoveries” at 7 p.m. Monday, Jan. 27, at the Contemporary Club, 173 S. Eureka St.
The Museum of Redlands is on schedule to break ground this fall after a $3 million personal gift from Jack and Laura Dangermond was announced this week.
1877: New Sunnyside Ditch is surveyed by Fred Perris and built with rock pavement cemented with red clay. Flume across Mill Creek wash is completed. Frank A. Miller was foreman of construction.
The Museum of Redlands recently received a Redlands parking meter donated by Garry Sevel of Fresno. He was in Redlands working on the estate of his parents, the late real estate agents Dave and Dorothy Sevel and found this Redlands parking meter colorfully painted red and yellow by Dave for …
Over the years, downtown Redlands has changed so that residents today would not recognize the town in 1900. While the footprint of downtown Redlands has remained nearly the same, the built structures standing in 1900 have faced decades of modifications. Many 1900 residents would not recogniz…
The Museum of Redlands recently received from Sidney Sandstrom this Harris’ hat box and two hats that belonged to her mother, Mary Cook Smith. Moving to a new home in Redlands was an excellent opportunity to locate items of historical interest for the museum. Many remember the big Harris’ st…
The Museum of Redlands recently received from Michelle and Jack Harrison of Cherry Valley a large wooden Serr’s stationery store sign.
A long-abandoned Mission-style chapel sits at the corner of San Mateo Street and Clifton Avenue. It was built in 1928 by William P. Greiner to offer Sunday school to orphans.
The Bear Valley 1884 Dam that created Big Bear Lake was the culmination of Frank Brown’s dream of creating an irrigation colony in the far west since leaving Connecticut in 1877.
The city of Redlands is constructing new “Welcome” signposts at entrances to Our Town. The metal organizational signs, which had hung for years on the old structures, were retrieved and replaced with new updated signs.
Frank Brown and Edward Judson embraced new agricultural ideas, new hydraulic engineering, practical inventions and the motivation to risk all for success.
The Museum of Redlands recently received from Daniel Bracy, a Redlands resident since 1960, this Toledo-brand scales, which for years stood outside the Gairs menswear store on East State Street as a service allowing customers to weigh themselves free.
Hillside Cemetery is the location of a new, unique monument to migrant workers — a plaque given by Jean Belmont Ford on a lot she owns adjacent to the graves of her father and mother, Harold and Florence Ford. Harold Ford was a major grower of apples and citrus. The marker states: “In memory…
In Redlands, there is no shortage of historic houses and historian Tom Atchley is always ready to share his plethora of fun facts and knowledge.
A.K. Smiley Public Library Director Don McCue and artist Tom Fontanes hold a framed and commissioned pyrograph titled “The Shrine, the Library and the Smileys.” The wood-burned piece is by Fontanes, a veteran who lives in Redlands and writes occasional columns for the Redlands Community News.
The Museum of Redlands recently received a framed photograph from 1915. On the far left, a young girl wearing a white dress and headband sits with knees tucked, her eyes casting an inquisitive gaze at the camera from under trimmed bangs.
The Redlands Area Historical Society will conduct the 10th annual walking tour of Hillside Memorial Park 1540 Alessandro Road at 4 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 26, beginning near the Egyptian Mausoleum and finishing before sundown.
Nathan Gonzales will be the Redlands Area Historical Society speaker at 7 p.m. Monday, Oct. 28, at the A.K. Smiley Public Library Contemporary Clubhouse.
The Museum of Redlands recently received a box of records and ephemera from Serr’s Stationery Store. Edward J. and Donna Serr moved to Redlands in 1928 when they opened their store at 208 E. State Street where Daryl’s Pet Shop is now located. For many decades, Serr’s was the go-to place for …
The Museum of Redlands recently received a Redlands Fire Department badge owned by Howard Fletcher. Sometimes an item from the past raises more questions than it answers. This is one of those.
Housed in an historic home is a small gem that is acclaimed by antique glass aficionados throughout Southern California, the Historic Glass Museum.